All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Hadrurus arizonensis, Heterometrus swammerdami and Pandinus cavimanus have arrived

Go down

Topic Hadrurus arizonensis, Heterometrus swammerdami and Pandinus cavimanus have arrived

Post by Cylon-Raider on Wed May 01, 2013 11:37 am

My first three scorpions have arrived and they are all around 2.5 inches in length, (from mandibles to telson). I'll post up some more pics on this thread once they're settled in but here's a quick one of the desert hairy (should I worry about the dark spots on the joints?).

How old do you think these guys are as they are all about 2.5 inches long (sold as "Large unsexed").
Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Topic Re: Hadrurus arizonensis, Heterometrus swammerdami and Pandinus cavimanus have arrived

Post by GS on Wed May 01, 2013 3:22 pm

I would estimate a 2.5 inch Hadrurus arizonensis to be 5/6.instar. The black spots on the joint are common. Not to worry about it.

Are you able to get a close up on the tarsal (feet) which is nearest to the coin?

ASA Forum Rules Scorpion Caresheets: Forest | Bark | Desert
GS
Administrator

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Topic Re: Hadrurus arizonensis, Heterometrus swammerdami and Pandinus cavimanus have arrived

Post by Cylon-Raider on Wed May 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi, here's a close up the best I could get from my camera. I just looked at the tarsal and it seemed to be ok (from my novice experience). I think there's a couple of specks of substrate that make the leg look strange if you know what I mean:

Here's another pic I took:

He's not very active though, might be because the heat pack in the packaging was depleted? The Cavimanus has come out to play and the Swammerdami seems to be in a perpetual bad mood Smile I've put them all in the warmest room in my house with a Pro Rep heat strip (regulated by a Habistat thermostat) however I don't think this is warm enough. So I've just bought a 10 inch Zoo Med dimmer clamp and a Zoo Med 100 watt infrared bulb. I'm planning to use my digital thermometer and the dimmer to emulate a day / night cycle for the 3 Exo Terra terrariums. What's your experience with infrared bulb life if used 24 hours a day?
Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yames on Thu May 02, 2013 3:58 am

I use my bulbs 24 hours a day. I actually have a ridiculous balancing act of shuffling lamps around and deli cups around them. I'm huge fan of my probe thermometer as I can set up a lamp and try a few of the deli cups and aquariums to see how warm they get.

Here is distant shot of my almost 50 scorpions all being happy and warm. Although my office looks like the red light district at night.

yames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shakudo on Thu May 02, 2013 10:43 am

yames wrote:I use my bulbs 24 hours a day. I actually have a ridiculous balancing act of shuffling lamps around and deli cups around them. I'm huge fan of my probe thermometer as I can set up a lamp and try a few of the deli cups and aquariums to see how warm they get.

Here is distant shot of my almost 50 scorpions all being happy and warm. Although my office looks like the red light district at night.

lol!
Shakudo
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylon-Raider on Thu May 02, 2013 11:18 am

Looking good Yames Smile how long does a bulb typically last and do you think 100 watts is strong enough?
Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GS on Thu May 02, 2013 1:45 pm

I like red light district. lol

Yep, I'm sure you are right cylon. Beautiful specimen, give it a week or two to settle down, not all scorps are hyper after being in transit for some time.

ASA Forum Rules Scorpion Caresheets: Forest | Bark | Desert
GS
Administrator

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylon-Raider on Thu May 02, 2013 2:05 pm

Cheers mate, yeah he/she is a bit more active today. For this scorpions enclosure I used 5 Kg of desert sand mixed with 2.25 Kg of Excavator substrate but it's taking forever to dry even in the warmest room in the house. For the time being I'm keeping the scorpion in small kritter keeper with a hide as I don't want to put it on a damp surface. Although am I right in thinking the lower part should remain damp like the ground is in nature? Does the dark foot on the right look like something bad? I probably sound like I'm worrying way too much ha:

Here's the enclosure still drying:

Here's a pic of the P.cavimanus out and about:

And the setup:

Here's the H.swammerdami checking things out:

And the setup:

Last edited by Cylon-Raider on Thu May 02, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yames on Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm

I've found 50's do the trick and I accidentally bought a 75 that was starting to melt the top of my tank. I had to move it away a bit. They don't last as long as I'd like. I haven't kept strict track but it feels like 1/4 the life of a regular type light bulb. they are either made to cheap to cost us extra money or something about the heat makes them wear out quick.
yames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylon-Raider on Thu May 02, 2013 2:40 pm

yames wrote:I've found 50's do the trick and I accidentally bought a 75 that was starting to melt the top of my tank. I had to move it away a bit. They don't last as long as I'd like. I haven't kept strict track but it feels like 1/4 the life of a regular type light bulb. they are either made to cheap to cost us extra money or something about the heat makes them wear out quick.

Ah right yeah I thought 100 may be too much but with the 10 inch dimmer dome I think I should be able to heat 3 Exo terras.
Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shebeen on Fri May 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Nice looking enclosures. Personally, I would remove the Styrofoam backgrounds. They take up precious floor space, present a fall danger, and I've read reports of scorpions getting stuck behind them.

When your Hadrurus tank dries out, I would add another 4 inches of substrate to the rear 2/3rds of the enclosure. Leave the front shallow as you currently have it; it will soon get filled with excavated sand. You can speed the drying a little by using a heat lamp and working in layers of about 2 inches. Add a layer, dry it, add another layer, dry it, etc. Regardless of the method, these setups always take a long time to dry and become very heavy. The end result, however, is worth the time and effort.
shebeen
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylon-Raider on Fri May 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi Shebeen, thanks for the helpful advice mate. I think they should make the background out of resin and also thinner.

Have you had a H.arizonensis successfully moult in your care? I read that it's nigh on impossible to have a successful moult in captivity Sad
Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shebeen on Sat May 04, 2013 6:44 pm

I haven't had one molt--my H. arizonensis is an adult female. The few successful molts I've read about were achieved using very deep substrate (12 to 14 inches) and employed a false bottom to get moisture into the very bottom of the substrate. I think one keeper also had success with occasional light misting under one of several hides.

The trick seems to be getting just enough humidity to aid molting while not promoting mycosis, to which H. arizonensis is quite susceptible. Even in the wild, many H. arizonensis have some form of mycosis. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of information regarding what amount of humidity is required or how to replicate it under captive conditions. In the hobby, it seems to be hit and miss with hits being pretty rare.
shebeen
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylon-Raider on Sun May 05, 2013 12:59 am

Ah ok, cheers.
Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Topic Updatedl enclosures

Post by Cylon-Raider on Sun May 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Hey guys, just thought I'd share my updated enclosures. I took the advice and removed the styrofoam backgrounds and I'm also going to add some more sand to the Haddy's enclosure soon too. My next project will be to set up a Dubia roach colony, if any of you guys have a colony set up I'd love to see how you've put it together Smile

There is a heat vertical strip shared by the three tanks and a 100 Watt dimmer bulb over the Haddy enclosure:

If anyone lives in England I picked up a couple of these little tubs from Wilko for £4.00 each, they seem pretty good as Juvenile enclosures after a few ventilation holes have been added. Should be receiving a couple of new Ts soon:

Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shakudo on Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 am

They look great!!

One piece of advice: make the layer of sand as thick as the layer of peat in the Swammerdami enclosure. The exo terra can take it....
Hadrurus diggs and diggs a lot Wink they make excellent spiraling constructions when given the chance.

Shakudo
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylon-Raider on Thu May 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks, yeah I was thinking of adding more sand, stupidly I bought Exo Terra sand which is ridiculously expensive (I think you mentioned that in one of your posts too). So I'm going to get some regular play sand. I also got some of the little water bowls you have too. Put one of those on the Haddy's enclosure.
Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShredderEmp on Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Cylon-Raider wrote:Thanks, yeah I was thinking of adding more sand, stupidly I bought Exo Terra sand which is ridiculously expensive (I think you mentioned that in one of your posts too). So I'm going to get some regular play sand. I also got some of the little water bowls you have too. Put one of those on the Haddy's enclosure.

Don't do the water bowl thing. Hadrurus sp. are very prone to mycosis.
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylon-Raider on Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 pm

ShredderEmp wrote:
Cylon-Raider wrote:Thanks, yeah I was thinking of adding more sand, stupidly I bought Exo Terra sand which is ridiculously expensive (I think you mentioned that in one of your posts too). So I'm going to get some regular play sand. I also got some of the little water bowls you have too. Put one of those on the Haddy's enclosure.

Don't do the water bowl thing. Hadrurus sp. are very prone to mycosis.

I've read that but a few people have said a bottle cap is good every now and again as this species is lost to dehydration a lot of times. This little water bowl is the size of a bottle cap, it just kinda looks like cork bark if that makes sense?
Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolbyR on Fri May 31, 2013 12:41 pm

A water dish of that size is just fine. But fill it not more often than twice a month.

[ASA] Caresheets: Forest Scorpions | Bark Scorpions | Desert Scorpions ]
DolbyR
Administrator

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/dolbyr82

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylon-Raider on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Ah ok cheers Dolby Smile
Cylon-Raider
Spermatophore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down