All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Scorpions and their habitats!

3 posters

Go down

My Scorpions and their habitats! Empty My Scorpions and their habitats!

Post by rudyizcool Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Here are the pictures I've been promising to post! They are of my Asian Forest Scorpion and the Striped Bark Scorpion from Central Texas! The Asian Forest is in a 10 gallon terrarium, containing normal top soil (without harmful ingredients), peat moss along the bottom back of the terrarium, and artificial ivy plant along the back-side, as well. The tree frog and turtle are not real lol. I chose to place them in there to give it a more realistic forest scene. The background of the terrarium is an Asian Forest photo that I enlarged, and printed out on photo paper, then put them together to form a large "wallpaper" to place on the outer glass of the aquarium. This REALLY creates a realistic tropical forest scene, and gives it a depth looking into the terrarium. A cave sits off to the left. It is a piece of concrete rock...but not to worry because this sits up on two long pieces of petrified rock, so there is no danger of it crashing down on it while he is resting under it. The other hide-out is the curved bark there in the center, but he rarely gets under it. I will probably remove it soon. The Striped Bark's habitat is about a 3 gallon Rubbermaid-type bin, that has top soil for substrate, a few petrified rocks, and a rock cave that also sits upon two rocks for support. I cut out the center of the lid and placed a plastic sheet on it, then added two lengths of window screen on each side for ventilation! The bin is clear on all sides so he can look out, and I can look in! 
And there ya go! I highly recommend giving a terrarium as many realistic items you can because it will inspire you to take really good care of your scorpion, as well as giving them comfort in believing they are "back home". My difficulty is balancing out the humidity, while trying to give the inside a warm temp up to the 90's. I hear the humidity levels shouldn't be too strict, but the temperature should be warm enough to give him the heat he needs to survive. Any ideas on this would be appreciated! 
I hope you enjoyed my pictures, and any photo requests will be considered! Bless you all!

My Scorpions and their habitats! P1190016
My Scorpions and their habitats! P3120012
My Scorpions and their habitats! P3120013
My Scorpions and their habitats! P1190017
My Scorpions and their habitats! P4020012

Last edited by rudyizcool on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added copyright's to photos!)

rudyizcool
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

My Scorpions and their habitats! Empty Re: My Scorpions and their habitats!

Post by rudyizcool Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Geesh! No replies or comments? I guess I shouldn't have even rushed to get this posted.  Sad  Sad

rudyizcool
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by yames Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:57 pm

Just because no one wrote anything yet doesn't mean we haven't enjoyed seeing the pictures.

Also some people enjoy finding flaws and telling people how things should be, your stuff looks good and under control. 

Does your AFS climb around on the moss and ivy much?

Thanks for sharing.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowfoot Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:06 am

Nice setup for your AFS, you gave me some ideas for when mine reach adulthood one day Smile
Shadowfoot
Shadowfoot
Scorpion breeder

Back to top Go down

Post by rudyizcool Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:15 pm

yames wrote:Just because no one wrote anything yet doesn't mean we haven't enjoyed seeing the pictures.

Also some people enjoy finding flaws and telling people how things should be, your stuff looks good and under control. 

Does your AFS climb around on the moss and ivy much?

Thanks for sharing.
My AFS stays pretty much inside his cave the entire day. He does prowl around at night, because I find that moss scattered about lol. He likes to rearrange things, but I always place the moss back so it doesn't look so messy. Once in a while the crickets get caught up in the moss, and it makes it hard for him to get his meal. So I chase the cricket in to the cave and he instantly grabs it. For now, I'm calling it a "he", but honestly I don't know the sex just yet. I haven't been able to get him out long enough to check his underside to see the Genital Operculum. Thanks for replying!

rudyizcool
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by rudyizcool Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Shadowfoot wrote:Nice setup for your AFS, you gave me some ideas for when mine reach adulthood one day Smile
Thanks, Shadowfoot, for your compliment! Yes, consider the surrounding visual atmosphere for pets even if they spend their entire life in a terrarium. I realize a scorpion probably doesn't pay much attention to what's outside of the glass, but it gives us, the caregivers, that sense of being in the location where they come from, and helps us to promote better care for them. Good luck with yours, and all the best to you and your family!  Smile

rudyizcool
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down