All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humidty tolerance

Go down

Topic Humidty tolerance

Post by exocet77 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:07 pm

I am having humidity problems for both my H. trilineatus and H. judaicus. I am opposite then most people from what I have been reading. My humidity is always super low (20%). Everyday I have to refill there water dish, it evaporates overnight and mist the tank to try and bring the humidity up to at least 40%-50%.

How hardy are these guys? I plan on going away for a few days but worried it may get to dry.

exocet77
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Topic Re: Humidty tolerance

Post by DolbyR on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:52 am

In my experience, Hottentotta spp. are very hardy. I usually do not worry too much about humidity, specially for adult specimens. Up to 3i I do make sure they get a moistened corner of the substrate 2-3 times a week. Adults get the same, not more than once as week.

How are you monitoring your humidity levels? 20% sounds extremely low, unless you live in the desert.

DolbyR
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/dolbyr82

Back to top Go down

Post by exocet77 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:18 pm

Glad to hear they are hardy, so I don't have to be overly concerned.

No desert here lol, living in Canada. It's my apartment that I live in, it is always super dry. Everything in this place is full of static and makes your arm hairs stick up lol.

I am using a digital temp/humidity hygrometer as well had a standard zoo med one.

I watered and misted everything last night, it brought the humidity to around 50%, this morning its down to about 35%.

exocet77
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:49 pm

DolbyR wrote:In my experience, Hottentotta spp. are very hardy. I usually do not worry too much about humidity, specially for adult specimens. Up to 3i I do make sure they get a moistened corner of the substrate 2-3 times a week. Adults get the same, not more than once as week.
Second this.

Hi exocet77,
If possible, do share some pics of your setup when it's convenient.

Cheers.

GS
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Post by exocet77 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:27 pm

Here's my setup. I originally had some cork wood in there as well, but they had no interest in it, only the rocks. So I have loads of hides for them, as well has some flat surfaces for breeding possibly.

Humidty tolerance IMG_0230_zpsd31c445c

exocet77
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by yames on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:27 am

Your hydrometer is reading higher then accurate based on it's location. It's reading that layer of hot dry air at the level it's at. If you can probe under a rock or in the sand it should be slightly higher. Our relative humidity around here is usually around 70-80 % outside and 40-60 in our homes. Your light will dry it up by heating the air but a little bit of weekly misting and having a water dish that you fill every 3 days in the evening will provide plenty of water for your scorpions. They do get most of their water from their prey.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by GS on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:30 pm

With regards to the reading on your hydrometer, I think yames has a good point there. Then again, I'm not overly concerned about readings from such gauges. The recommended water provision methods from DolbyR and yames will serve your specimens well.

I must say, that's a nice looking setup! Just be careful with the rocks pinning down any of your babies in an accidental shift/knock. If these hazards are well secured and stacked, shouldn't be of an issue.

Cheers.

GS
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Post by exocet77 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks again for the advice. Makes me less concerned. They do eat readily, so i'm sure there not dehydrated. I did catch one taking a drink the first week a received them. Haven't since.

The rocks are secure, I made sure when setting them up there plenty stable to prevent any accidents from happening.

exocet77
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by AndrewLosier on Sat May 10, 2014 5:44 pm

That is a very nice set up you have for them!!! Living in Canada has its challenges when it comes to keeping scorpions. This winter was especially hard for me, it was just so long and cold!! hopefully our summer is normal!! Good luck with your scorpions and good to see more Canadians!!

AndrewLosier
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum