All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp

5 posters

Go down

sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp Empty Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp

Post by GS Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp

1) Sexing via the Shape of the Genital Operculum (High accuracy)

Genital Operculum is located at the underside of a scorpion.

The location of Genital Operculum is identical for both males and females:

sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp Sexing_Pandinus_and_Hetermetrus_spp_by_GS_pic1_

Males: They have an "oval shaped" Genital Operculum

Female:
They have a "heart-shape" Genital Operculum and it's pointed tip is facing towards the metasoma (scorpion's tail). Refer to the reference shot i took on my pair of specimens.

sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp Sexing_Pandinus_and_Hetermetrus_spp_by_GS_pic2_

2) Comparing the size of pectines (feather-looking thing near the Genital Operculum

As you can see from the picture above, males' pectine are much thicker and longer than female’s. This may be a feasible sexing method if you have a few specimens to compare with.

A pectine tooth count (PTC) will not be effective for sexing as the PTC of males and females overlap in numbers.

Method one should always be your first attempt on sexing

The following is another close-up shot on female's "heart-shaped operculum"

sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp Sexing_Pandinus_and_Hetermetrus_spp_by_GS_pic3_

Note: There may be slight variation from both sexes. E.g. there can be a few types of "Oval-shaped" Genital Operculum of males but the distinguishing pointed tips of the female's "Heart-shaped" Genital Operculum should be a clear indicator on separating females from males.

Regards,
GS
GS
GS
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp Empty Help me please

Post by Androctonus Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 am

New entrance in my extended familiy - two H.spinifer, sub-adult or adult, unfortunately I'm not sure.
I have read the above information (thank you very much), but I'm a little confused about the shape of this operculum.
This is first one:

sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp IMG_5386-1000

sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp Schs

Thx for help
Androctonus
Androctonus
Spermatophore

http://www.scorpioni.info

Back to top Go down

sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp Empty Re: Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp

Post by GS Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 am

Hey mate,

Your pictures above displayed a male.

Apart from the large pectinal teeth, it's genital operculum is Oval in shape like those belonging to males and the absense of the pointed tip (3rd pic at post #1) shows that it is definitely not female.

Hope it help Smile
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp Empty Re: Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp

Post by Androctonus Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Thank you.
And this is the female (I hope)

sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp Hsfem
Androctonus
Androctonus
Spermatophore

http://www.scorpioni.info

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Hey mate,

You are right. It's a female for the above picture.
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by stayfrosty04 Sun May 19, 2013 12:09 pm

is it male or female?
sexing pandinus - Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp 946573_590249174333032_404087931_n

My Forest Scorpion Heterometrus spp

newbie question: Is H. Longimanus parthenogenetic?

thanks... Smile
stayfrosty04
stayfrosty04
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by yames Sun May 19, 2013 2:51 pm

I can't make out the pic on my phone to be sure.

But on to the question. Scientists the world over do not consider them to be Parthenogenetic. However some hobbyists from the Philippines claim that they %100 are. Unfortunately none of the people making the claim are willing to actually document it or in any credible way try to prove it to the scientific community. They so far have preferred to troll forums and start flame wars.

I would personally welcome an opportunity to raise some 2nd I's individually to adulthood to see if I could recreate their findings.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by tfleming Sat May 25, 2013 3:07 am

Nice work, great info!!!
tfleming
tfleming
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks Tim!
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down