All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surprise babies today!

2 posters

Go down

Surprise babies today!  Empty Surprise babies today!

Post by Necromance Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:48 am

So long story short, I didn't know she was gravid and I bought her some crickets today and I lifted her hide and there was a pretty little baby perched up on her back1 I was very very excited, however I'm a little worried as to what to do from here since I am not prepared. I know my emp hasn't eaten in a while and Im afraid she might go for the babies. Can I feed her if Im careful not to upset her? I know I should put the babies in a new container when they molt, but is it ok to put them back with her after they get big enough? When do I slow down their feeding, etc. I'm afraid I didn't look into this aspect enough. I will be prepared for next time though.
Necromance
Necromance
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Surprise babies today!  Empty Re: Surprise babies today!

Post by yames Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Don't move the babies. OR feed her. Mothers naturally suppress their hunger while babies are 1i (new born) once the babies molt (about 7 days) you can head crush a cricket and leave it by her burrow. if she's really hungry she will eat it. If it's there the next day remove it and throw it away.

When was her last feeding? If it was say 3 months ago I'd say head crush a cricket and leave it outside the entrance to her burrow right now to avoid cannibalism based on her being starving. If she was fed within the last 3 weeks you should be fine.

Also at only one baby I'd be worried you interrupted her during the birthing of the brood. It's common for these guys to have 8-20 babies. So try not to disturb her and wait to see what you get.

If you have any more questions just ask. I'll be checking in regularly now that we have an emergency.

James
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by yames Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:21 pm

You can leave them with her and she will hunt for them till they are 4th or 5th i I believe I read somewhere. At that point she will stop sharing.

If you keep them individually you can head crush crickets and leave them by each ones burrow over night. If they are still there in the morning take them out. I have a 3i emp who refuses to hunt. but if I leave a head crushed cricket he will always find it in the night. Stop feeding them when you see more grey skin then black plate. A pre molt emp looks like an over stuffed grey sausage.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by Necromance Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks for your response, yames. I was away from the computer for a few days so I didn't get your comments until now but they are very helpful and I went with my instinct and left a couple incapacitated crickets at the entrance of her burrow and she ate both. I guess I was just being a worried grandma haha. Also she has more babies now, I only got a peek at her but she has at least 5 and I have a feeling she has much more now. Nice and healthy; I'm very proud. I will be spoiling them until I can find the resources to send them to new homes. I appreciate your diligent moderation of ASA forums thank you for your concern! Keep up the good work. I'll probably look around on the site for information on shipping as I've only shipped a scorpion once.
Necromance
Necromance
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by yames Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:13 am

Thanks for the kind words and I'm sure you can find people to ship or sell them to in the states. Which makes it all very easy.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down