All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi from London!

4 posters

Go down

Hi from London! Empty Hi from London!

Post by Jen90 Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:20 pm

My name is Jen and I recently got my first scorpion!

She is a Pandinus cavimanus called Bonnie, and is my first arachnid, and I'm obsessed with her already! I joined scorpionforum last week when I first brought her home, because I really am quite a novice when it comes to arachnid keeping, and wanted to make sure I was giving her the best life possible. I'm full of questions, and everyone has been so helpful on scorpionforum, and I wanted to join here too to get as much info and opinions as poss!

I also have a chilien rose tarantula called William (my boyfriends officially Wink ), 3 blue tongue skinks, a house rabbit and now the two scorps Bonnie and Bronson (bronson is my bfs). They live in seperate vivs btw.

Here she is!

[img]Hi from London! 56233014[/img]

I am completely obsessed with her and absolutely adore watching her.

I'm currently trying to establish her rough age, whether I should expect her to moult again or if she is a full adult, her gender, and also want to gather as much info on how to make her viv as natural as possible for her and make her a happy little scorp.

She hasn't eaten at all yet- in fact she seems positively terrified of her food, but I understand this is normal for the first few weeks of them settling in? I have had her exactly a week now.

Her temp is 25 deg C, and the humidity is at 82%. Right now I am trying to get her viv as right as possible, and establish a humidity/temp gradient, although after seeing some of the amazing viv setups online I plan to buy her a bigger viv. The man I got her off (at a reptile expo in wales) told me to keep her in a small, what looked like a bug plastic tank. It was largish, but seemed a bit cheap and small :/ so i went and got her a glass viv bigger than he recommended (he didn't seem to know at all what he was talking about tbh).

[img]Hi from London! 11776_10[/img]

[img]Hi from London! 55149212[/img]

I've added a few more inches of substrate since then, as I understand they like to burrow Very Happy.

Here is the set up on their cabinet, next to the skink viv

[img]Hi from London! Photo11[/img]

What do you guys think about the size of her tank? I am currently looking at a much bigger one, because I want to put a lot more hides, and stones etc. in there, and a larger, shallow waterbowl for her to bathe in if she wants, but I don't want to overcrowd the viv I have her in now.

Jen

Jen90
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Hi from London! Empty Re: Hi from London!

Post by yames Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:49 am

That vivarium looks just fine. A hide on the warm side of the tank and one on the cool side will allow her to moderate her temp better. The warm side you'd like to reach 30C. put a heat lamp above those two tanks to heat the middle of both allowing a cooler area towards the outsides would work well. I like lamps but you can get the same result with a heat mat between them. Do you plan on getting more individuals in that tank? Going larger will just mean prey items will be harder to track down or less likely to walk into her ambush.

Feel free to ask anything you like. We have plenty of How to's and archived reports in our emp section.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by DolbyR Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Welcome to the forum.

+1 to yames. Do browse through our articles and post up whatever queries you may have.

Also, do post those skinks up at the herp section Smile
DolbyR
DolbyR
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/dolbyr82

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:00 pm

I'm with DolbyR and Yames, Welcome to the forum mate!
GS
GS
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum