All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus!

3 posters

Go down

Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus! Empty Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus!

Post by ahxean Thu May 02, 2013 2:47 pm

i think my female just popped 2 days ago, which i do not notice at the first time. Due to the temperature and humidity, unfortunately 10 babies were dead when i went to check.

i moved the mother and babies to a new set up, which cocopeat is moist and absolutely clean from mites. However, when i checked this morning, there are mites infection on the babies and 5 of them are already dead on the mum's back.. i carefully remove the dead babies from the mum's back to prevent the spread...now only around 10 remaining, what can i do? pale
ahxean
ahxean
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus! Empty Re: Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus!

Post by GS Thu May 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Hey man,

Sorry to hear that.

I would recommend an isolation of the scorpion mum with her remaining brood to a deli-container which slightly moist tissue as bedding. Never try to brush the babies off her back by force.

Include a small small hide, e.g. a piece of bark placed in a 45 degree angle across the container. Make sure that the bark is free from mites, you may probably wish to do a quick heat treatment over the stove and let it cool before usage.

At any point of time, if any babies were dropped of from mum's back, you may reference the following thread on how to take care of the little ones:
http://www.allscorpionarchives.com/t14-how-to-incubate-1instar-scorpling

Update us with a picture of her, and we'll see how things go...
GS
GS
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus! Empty Re: Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus!

Post by ahxean Thu May 02, 2013 8:39 pm

First, some of the dead babies are turn into reddish color, normally is orange right? from the pic, the red one still remain a little bit orange on the pedipalp area.. this is the sign of dehydration? or what reason can cause them into red color?
Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus! IMG_20130503_025523_zpse1cd3253

Second, the yellow circle shows the mites..and the mites are believed to come along with the brood.. the newly changed cocopeat and bark are totally fine..
Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus! IMG_20130503_030553_zpsbdc36a59

side view.. now there are 8 more babies left on the back..
Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus! IMG_20130503_030304_zps2de5e06e

another side view
Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus! IMG_20130503_031134_zpsc95b98e5

Sorry for the bad quality of photo, that is the best i can get. pale
ahxean
ahxean
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by yames Thu May 02, 2013 10:45 pm

It's very unfortunate that your scorpions were infested with mites before you noticed the babies.

At this point if it was me I think I would try to seep any uninfested babies off the infested mothers back and try my luck at incubating them individually in deli cups as GS outlined for abandoned babies.

This is a tough one. Honestly I'd say do whatever GS tells you to do.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by ahxean Fri May 03, 2013 5:38 am

yames wrote:It's very unfortunate that your scorpions were infested with mites before you noticed the babies.

At this point if it was me I think I would try to seep any uninfested babies off the infested mothers back and try my luck at incubating them individually in deli cups as GS outlined for abandoned babies.

This is a tough one. Honestly I'd say do whatever GS tells you to do.

Hi yames, i had already incubated those abandoned babies, the problem is those babies on the mother's back is hard to take.. she is very aggressive.. may cause damage to the babies when i am trying to take them... damn unlucky.. infection on babies... Neutral
ahxean
ahxean
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Fri May 03, 2013 1:27 pm

"Damage to the babies" is definitely a concern when doing manual removal. Hence, it is not recommended for those who lack in experience in such scenarios.

The substrate seemed to be a little too damp btw..

The babies should go through their first molt around 5-8 days. Keep us updated..
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ahxean Tue May 07, 2013 1:23 am

The whole brood is gone. The mother abandoned all the babies and I used the way on how to incubate 1 instar babies. None of them survived, I guess the mites infection already damaged all the babies.

Btw if the babies were good and on the back of the mother, do a wet or damp substrate really concern?
ahxean
ahxean
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Tue May 07, 2013 12:01 pm

ahxean wrote:The whole brood is gone. The mother abandoned all the babies and I used the way on how to incubate 1 instar babies. None of them survived, I guess the mites infection already damaged all the babies.
Possible Sad

ahxean wrote:Btw if the babies were good and on the back of the mother, do a wet or damp substrate really concern?
It doesn't really affect the success rate of the babies achieving 2.instar from birth with all other things being equal, but a portioned dampen substrate will be helpful once the 2.instars have dismounted from mom's back.

Sorry for your loss.. it happens. What's the background of the scorpion mom, wc, bought gravid or.. ?
better luck next time bro.
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ahxean Tue May 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi, I am just little bit upset as this is the first brood of her. 2 of my Rhopalurus Junceus were bought at 5i from my friend. They're captive breed. After reaching 6i then turned to 1 male and 1 female. Quite lucky btw.
ahxean
ahxean
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Tue May 07, 2013 3:20 pm

I can relate to that. Sometimes things do go wrong even when the "stage" is set for a brilliant show. I guess you still have the pair with you?

Sorry that i can't tell from the pictures regarding the mites, seems flaky from the shots. Are they moving or did you see them climbing unto the babies before they got dropped off from the scorpion mom's back?
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ahxean Tue May 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Yup the pair is still with me. Sorry for the quality of pictures but I can confirm there were mites on the mother's back and damaging the babies. I looked and saw some dead babies on the mum's back, I picked up the dead and I saw mites are hanging around. I can say 85% of the babies are infected at that time.

2 days after I moved the female to a new enclosure, she abandoned all the 6 remaining babies. I put them into another enclosure for incubating, but they still din make it.

Now, I cant find any mites with the mother, either down part or elsewhere, but there are some white spot nearby the eyes of the mother, which are not mites, also doesnt look like shed skins.. I have no idea what it is. Refer to the yellow circle of pictures below. Again sorry for the bad quality.

Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus! IMG_20130508_004726_zpscad5792c

Urgent help needed on Rhopalurus Junceus! IMG_20130508_004453_zps8b4c3f4a
ahxean
ahxean
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down