All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are scorpions immune to their own venom? Let's see...

4 posters

Go down

Are scorpions immune to their own venom? Let's see... Empty Are scorpions immune to their own venom? Let's see...

Post by GS Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:16 am

The video features a Centruroides limbatus adult pair.

The male attempts another sexual advance towards the female. (Prior to this, they had a successful mating attempt about 3 weeks ago). After a few weeks gestation, the female is now no longer receptive to the male's advances and puts up a defensive stance..

Sensing that the "atmosphere" isn't right.. the male makes a run for his life and delivers a "defensive jab" as he retreats...

Notice that the "damage" has been done to the female's mesosoma where you can see that the body fluid with injected venom oozes out slowly.... with the female looking really REALLY PISSED...

Yes, many of us have heard it "they are" but few have documented it. So let this be it, I'll post an update on her in regular intervals.

For now, feel free to share your experience and your thoughts on this.

Last edited by GS on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : updated)
GS
GS
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Are scorpions immune to their own venom? Let's see... Empty Re: Are scorpions immune to their own venom? Let's see...

Post by ShredderEmp Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:52 pm

It looked like the male got stung? Did he, or was it a narrow escape?
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Are scorpions immune to their own venom? Let's see... Empty Re: Are scorpions immune to their own venom? Let's see...

Post by GS Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:30 am

He's feasting on a cricket right now, to celebrate his narrow escape.
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShredderEmp Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:32 am

GS wrote:He's feasting on a cricket right now, to celebrate his narrow escape.

Well good for him then! Haha.
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by Patcho Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:28 pm

What about cytotoxic venom? What if an H. lepturus pair had a fight and one got stung?

Patcho
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShredderEmp Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:41 pm

Patcho wrote:What about cytotoxic venom? What if an H. lepturus pair had a fight and one got stung?
Mind blown. Poof. Now I have an excuse not to do math!
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Patcho wrote:What about cytotoxic venom? What if an H. lepturus pair had a fight and one got stung?
If you ask me, I would choose to believe that they are capable of "neutralizing" venom (even if it's cytotoxic) from their own kind and survive the sting, but of course.. provided that the impact of the sting did not hurt any vital organs in a drastic way.

Then again, It is only my personal point of view and since I do not keep Hemiscorpius lepturus as one of my study projects, I can't say it's for certain.

It's a great question. I like it.

Please feel free to share your findings, everyone Smile
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TyronSA Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:38 pm

I have watched alot of Worlds deadliest episodes where they have scorps on it. Now i know they do tend to stretch the truth sometimes yes. But there is one episode where they actually do die from another scorpion sting. Not sure what scorp it was. Normally that occurs during territorial battles then the "winner" actually starts eating the "loser". So some are immune to their own venom and others not. And it also depends on the amount of venom injected. I'm really no expert on scorpions but that's going on website articles and Nat Geo Wild.

TyronSA
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShredderEmp Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:57 pm

I think that you are referring to the one where they were different species. I remember them saying that the chemical trail of the Hadrurus sp. mimics the chemical trail of a female Vaejovid sp. Since they are different species I would assume that would be why.
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by TyronSA Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Could be im not sure. They do look alot like each other..

TyronSA
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down