All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for optimal humidity

3 posters

Go down

Looking for optimal humidity Empty Looking for optimal humidity

Post by Necromance Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:56 pm

So I've separated Sauron's babies from her, they're very healthy and eat well and have a perfect temporary house in terms of heat and humidity, though it is small, and I will be upgrading them as soon as possible. Seen below is their Halloween feast Smile
Looking for optimal humidity 1383604_4868122839600_1937013530_n

However, while I was taking the babies. I decided to clean the mama's enclosure and sift through all of her substrate and make sure I didn't miss anyone. After I set it back up the way she likes, she decided she wanted her burrow closer to her water dish and after seeing how great the babies are doing with such a nice, steadily humid home. I kind of felt bad.

I've been struggling with keeping humidity in her 10 gallon forever. The best I can do is cover half of the screen top with a towel and the other half has a heat lamp laying on top. However the humidity escapes through the top within the hour. I'm starting to feel like a big cheap plastic container would work better...but I really don't like the way that looks at all and also worry about melting.

I'm considering getting something that covers the whole top but has a spot for the lamp in the middle (as I want to maybe split the cage). I'm not sure what to get though? Some sort of thing that isn't flammable and can be custom cut for a slot for the lamp would be ideal. I'd prefer something that isn't too heavy to lift off for feeding and stuff either. Has anyone got any suggestions? I don't have a lot of money to spend at the moment but would be willing to spend about 30 dollars or so for this.
Necromance
Necromance
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Looking for optimal humidity Empty Re: Looking for optimal humidity

Post by yames Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Go to your local hardware store. IE. Home Depot and buy a thin sheet of plexi glass. I cut mine on a table saw to fit then cut a half round out with a jig saw for my light to sit on over the metal screening.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by Necromance Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks, I was thinking plexi glass too. Do you think it would cost too much to have the store do it for me? I live in an apartment and don't have any tools
Necromance
Necromance
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by orion_rmw Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 pm

I had issues keeping the RH high in my 10 gallon enclosure as well. I tried the foil / wrap solution for a bit but started getting fungus. I read on another forum a "how to" link for a gravel reservoir in the bottom of the enclosure that has worked very well for my needs. I added about 2" of gravel to the bottom of my tank with a fill tube off to the side. Cover the gravel with window screen material (Home Depot or Lowes has this), then add your substrate. I add enough distilled water to just reach the substrate; the moisture will work its way up through the substrate and keep things nice and humid. Depending on the time of year, I use either a 50W or 100W IR heat bulb as well as a heat pad on the side of the tank. It stays about 90 Degrees F on the hot side and about 80 or less on the cool side. I also use a plexiglass cover over about 3/4 of the tank top (I have seen false bottoms used but that was a bit too engineering much for my needs). This is quick and fairly easy. Works good, too!
jocolor
orion_rmw
orion_rmw
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by yames Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:36 pm

I think most stores will cut it to an approximate size. Cutting the round to make room for a lamp is more then most stores would do. But that's just a guess. Maybe talk to some handy man and see if they can help you out? I'm a flooring installer by trade and if anyone asked me to do that kind of thing I'd take a second to help out.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by Necromance Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:15 am

The gravel idea sounds good, next paycheck I'll see what I can do. Damn, if I were back in Cali I could just get my dad to do all the plexiglass stuff, he's a carpenter type too. Having skills like that must be so incredibly helpful. All I'm good for is collecting bugs and drawing pretty pictures haha. I'll try to make some skilled friends soon I guess Smile
Necromance
Necromance
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by yames Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Bugs and pictures sound like some wonderful talents to me. In Ontario we have very few cool bugs and no scorpions. It's sad to me.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by Necromance Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:08 am

Yeah I just moved to upstate New York. Montreal is right near us so there's lots of new insects that I'm not used to but no scorpions or tarantulas that I know of lol
Necromance
Necromance
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down