All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have a problem with mites on my Heterometrus petersii

+3
GS
ShredderEmp
Miroslav Saric
7 posters

Go down

I have a problem with mites on my Heterometrus petersii Empty I have a problem with mites on my Heterometrus petersii

Post by Miroslav Saric Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:33 pm

I have a problem with mites on my H. petersii, today I look on the sterno-pectenal region, and I saw a lot of mites on pectines, sternum and stigmae..I tried to dry coco peat, ie. put it in the oven at high temperature, but mites are still here.
How to deal with them, my H. petersii is in premoult, and I do not want that after moulting.
Miroslav Saric
Miroslav Saric
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

I have a problem with mites on my Heterometrus petersii Empty Re: I have a problem with mites on my Heterometrus petersii

Post by ShredderEmp Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:41 am

Keep her on paper towels to prevent them from laying eggs or remove the exuviae as soon as she is done molting.
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

I have a problem with mites on my Heterometrus petersii Empty Re: I have a problem with mites on my Heterometrus petersii

Post by GS Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:46 am

Miroslav Saric wrote:I have a problem with mites on my H. petersii, today I look on the sterno-pectenal region, and I saw a lot of mites on pectines, sternum and stigmae..I tried to dry coco peat, ie. put it in the oven at high temperature, but mites are still here.
How to deal with them, my H. petersii is in premoult, and I do not want that after moulting.

On a quick read, I almost thought that you baked your H.petersii affraid Razz 

Are these mites moving around fast or are they pretty much "restless" and keeping still, which are simply attached to the different parts of the scorpions?

GS
GS
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Post by Miroslav Saric Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:03 pm

Usually they are only attached to the body, but they often move, not to fast..
Most of them are on pectines...
I'm crazy but, not that crazy to put a scorpion in the oven.. Laughing 
 up the asa
Miroslav Saric
Miroslav Saric
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:38 pm

haha Razz 

I bet you have research the different type of mites? Do they resemble more towards the parasite mites or the "good" ones?

"Good mites" on the substrate are quite tricky, they may return even after we baked the substrate or put it under the hot sun for a few days.

Whatever is it, things should start "afresh" when it has molted successfully.

I gave up trying to major on mites issues for my forest scorpions.. pirat 

GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Miroslav Saric Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:31 pm

I think they are parasitic mites.. Mad 
Is it possible to survive at 150-200 degrees Celsius..? Shocked Do I need to use a gun to kill them..? xD
Miroslav Saric
Miroslav Saric
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by shaneshac Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:08 pm

I gave up on mites too. Best option is to let the substrate dry off as much as possible then put a piece of lettuce or a wet dead cricket on an inverted bottle top. This will attract the mites to the moisture. Keep changing the piece of lettuce daily and they will go eventually

Other option is woodlice and springtails. They eat mite eggs and keep the environment mould free too
shaneshac
shaneshac
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Miroslav Saric wrote:I think they are parasitic mites.. Mad 
Is it possible to survive at 150-200 degrees Celsius..? Shocked Do I need to use a gun to kill them..? xD
haha.. maybe. I meant that yes, the baking and basking heat treatment did kill them. But after sometime, they might be re-introduced back unto the substrate.. maybe through external "channel".. Smile

shaneshac wrote:I gave up on mites too. Best option is to let the substrate dry off as much as possible then put a piece of lettuce or a wet dead cricket on an inverted bottle top. This will attract the mites to the moisture. Keep changing the piece of lettuce daily and they will go eventually
Interesting "fishing" game Smile
Works better for the "good mites" that feed on dead/rotting prey remains?
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DolbyR Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Do you have a chance of posting a picture of these mites and scorpion?

Parasitic mites do not move at all. And they are hardly seen by naked eye.

For reference:

Parasitic mites on a Pandinus ugandaensis
I have a problem with mites on my Heterometrus petersii 12369708875_c312a5d289_c

More on the subject will follow soon. We are currently preparing some informative stuff to be published at the forum regarding "good" vs. "bad" mites.
DolbyR
DolbyR
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/dolbyr82

Back to top Go down

Post by Miroslav Saric Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:05 am

I'm grateful for your advices.. Smile 
Unfortunately I do not have proper camera so I can't take pictures, as I can see, picture of mites correspond to mites on my H. petersii, but I can see moving mites as well..Again I'll put coco peat in the oven, I hope that it will reduce the number of mites.. Twisted Evil
Miroslav Saric
Miroslav Saric
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by High Lord Dee Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Miroslav Saric wrote:I'm grateful for your advices.. Smile 
Unfortunately I do not have proper camera so I can't take pictures, as I can see, picture of mites correspond to mites on my H. petersii, but I can see moving mites as well..Again I'll put coco peat in the oven, I hope that it will reduce the number of mites.. Twisted Evil

Mites are everywhere.  Most likely these mites came in on the food.  Unclean enclosures (uneaten dead food for the most part) encourages mite reproduction.  Sounds like you have a very clean substrate now so they should not continue to reproduce as fast. 

I have read that some keepers have had success with predatory mites.  They are supposed to devour the parasitic mites and are harmless to pet arachnids.  Once the parasitic mites disappear, simply drying out the enclosure removes the predators as they die quickly from the lack of water.   May be easier than a complete enclosure microwave nuking?  Downside is that they are pricey.

You can find them out on Amazon and some other organic gardening sites.  Good luck either way!
High Lord Dee
High Lord Dee
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by DolbyR Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Not everything that is small and white are mites actually.
Forest setups very often get "creatures" that we mistakenly think that are mites. Some call them springtails but I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct "ID". These usually are tiny and what, like mites and more quite fast on the substrate and over the scorpion. They are also harmless.

Predatory mites often appear by themselves to eat any left over feeder parts. They also move but are slightly bigger in size.

Back to the bad/parasitic mites... the best way to ID them is that they do not move at all. They are like tiny ticks that attach to the "weaker" parts of the scorpion, between tergites and junction of the legs and tail (as seen in the picture). In my experience, they can often be seen in the prosoma as well, in the area between the eyes.
DolbyR
DolbyR
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/dolbyr82

Back to top Go down

Post by Miroslav Saric Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:08 pm

I noticed that when the peat is drained, their number is reduced, but I'm worried about scorpion, I don't want to hurt her because of dehydration...She has a constant fresh water supply in the container which is filled to the top, but I'm still worried.
I would not take the chance with other predatory mites, sometimes it is not wise to play with nature..Again I'll put peat in the oven at a high temperature..
Miroslav Saric
Miroslav Saric
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Invert Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:07 am

For cases of parasite mites, I agree it might not be wise "to play with nature".

Dehydration is a more critical issue that we must take note of as compared to mites infestation. (As in, mites being the lesser of two evils).

Water bowl is essential, so is an adequately dampened substrate. I would prepare a new enclosure with fresh bedding of substrate and transfer(for experienced keepers) the scorpion over upon a successful molt. With great care and attentiveness during the transit. My 2cents.

Keep us updated on how it goes. Gd luck.
Mr.Invert
Mr.Invert
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Miroslav Saric Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:36 pm

All my animals (102 speciments, 27 species) have adequate dish with water, every second day I take out dish and wash it under running water to remain clean...As soon she moult I'll remove the exoskeleton, I hope that I will remove all mites... Smile
Miroslav Saric
Miroslav Saric
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by High Lord Dee Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:58 am

Miroslav Saric wrote:All my animals (102 speciments, 27 species) have adequate dish with water, every second day I take out dish and wash it under running water to remain clean...As soon she moult I'll remove the exoskeleton, I hope that I will remove all mites... Smile

Hello,

Any updates?  Curious to see how your battle is going.
High Lord Dee
High Lord Dee
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Miroslav Saric Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:36 am

I think I've managed to reduce the number of mites on H. petersii, and i think she will moult, soon.. Smile  She is very slow and her tergits are duplicated..... Smile Some of my tarantulas have molted, I got bit and etc.. Razz
Miroslav Saric
Miroslav Saric
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by High Lord Dee Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:21 am

Miroslav Saric wrote:I think I've managed to reduce the number of mites on H. petersii, and i think she will moult, soon.. Smile  She is very slow and her tergits are duplicated..... Smile Some of my tarantulas have molted, I got bit and etc.. Razz
Ouch!  Hopefully the bite was from a mite!  Shocked .  I still think the predatory mites would be a great test.  But, if you have the tenacity to keep attacking the enclosure, I am sure you will win the war.  What a pain!
High Lord Dee
High Lord Dee
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Miroslav Saric Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:08 pm

I think I've menaged to reduce number of the mites, about 70%.. Laughing  Twisted Evil
It was not to bad bite, just a little pain that's all.. Razz
Miroslav Saric
Miroslav Saric
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down