All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Scorpion H. Trilineatus

3 posters

Go down

First Scorpion H. Trilineatus Empty First Scorpion H. Trilineatus

Post by Viceroy Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:34 pm

So I am prepared to get flamed.

Why are people so against new scorpion owners against people getting hot scorpions?

I have read that you shouldn't get a hot scorpion unless you have had years experience dealing with less venomous scorpions before taking the plunge and getting a more venomous scorp.

The only way I see this being an issue is possibly being to young or irresponsible and or not taking the time to research the species and know the risks that come with it.

I am getting a H. Trilineatus. I have done a ton of research and understand the risks and the do's and don'ts with this species.

It will be housed in a 5 gallon tank with a lockable lid. This scorpion will not be handled ever. Any work or maintenance I must do in the tank will be done with long tongs. I mean everything. I will respect the power/toxicity of it and it will never be underestimated.

Thoughts?

Viceroy
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

First Scorpion H. Trilineatus Empty Re: First Scorpion H. Trilineatus

Post by DolbyR Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi Viceroy

While extremely fascinating, scorpions can be very unpredictable and potentially dangerous creatures.

It may take just a fraction of a second of distraction for a simple feeding session or photoshoot to turn into a nightmare.

Of course, we are not against keeping "hots" but it is a common recommendation for a keeper to have some experience before jumping into keeping medically significant species. Ideally, a scorpion-keeper should progress gradually. This is how most people do it.

You would not recommend a person that had recently gotten theiir driving license to jump into a 300hp sports car either, would you?

This doesn't mean that a newcomer to the hobby, which has opted to start with a medically significant spp. will instantly get stung. It is all up to the keeper.

Experience is not something I would measure in years or months. It depends on a lot of factors. You could keep an emp for 5 years, just throwing it food once a week and controlling the humidity, but you would still have less experience than Mr. Z who was kept X number of spp. and rehoused them several times within a one month period.

Age has nothing to do with it, responsibility on the other hand, does. And you are right, research is one of the main keys to be successful and stay safe in this hobby.

The most important thing is that you feel ready. If you have to ask somebody else, if they think you are ready to keep a more "powerful" scorpion, then most probably you are not.

As for your plans, for enclosure and thongs, it all sounds good to me. Just remember not to fear the scorpions, but to respect them.

On a side note, with respect to the rest of the community, please take a couple of minutes and post a self-intro at the Introduction section.
DolbyR
DolbyR
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/dolbyr82

Back to top Go down

Post by yames Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:26 pm

I fully agree with Dolby and I don't think you should fear "getting flamed" around here. If you understand the potential threat of owning a "hot" or medically significant scorpion and have done the research on how to safely keep them and are responsible enough of a person, any specie may be your first species of scorpion. It's also not up to anyone else to decide if you are ready. That is an individual decision that only you can answer.

On that note good luck with your Hottentotta trilineatus they are very attractive scorpions. A little on the pet rock side in my opinion but very attractive.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by Viceroy Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:15 am

I ended up getting two and have had them for a week. I must admit they are smaller then I was expecting. If I do any work in the enclosure I end up throwing on a pair of gloves. They blend very well on the wood/bark, takes me a minute to spot them.

Sorry for being so defensive. Not a great first post  Sad

Viceroy
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by DolbyR Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Do share some pictures when you have the chance. We all love some Hottentotta here.
DolbyR
DolbyR
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/dolbyr82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down