All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surface Temp. Vs. Ambient Temp.

4 posters

Go down

Surface Temp. Vs. Ambient Temp. Empty Surface Temp. Vs. Ambient Temp.

Post by Scorp_Ed Fri May 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Something I've always wondered, do you read temperatures off air/ambient temperature or surface/substrate/basking temperature? 

I am getting some forest scorpions (H.petersii) and I am currently setting up their enclosure, and I can't seem to get the warm side (ambient air temperature) warmer than 26.5C (79F) however when in contact with the base of enclosure I get about 34C (93F) - that's with no substrate, so with a good few inches of coco fiber I should get a nice cosy 30-32C. 
I am using a heat mat by the way.
Was also wondering how much of a thermal gradient you have? I understand to have 1/3rd of base covered with heat mat, but what temperature would be optimal for a cool side?
Another question I have is the photo-period requirements of scorpions. My main concern is that when I am working late into the night, and I have lights on in the room will this effect the nocturnal foraging behaviour and general health of the scorps? Also vice versa, when I can't be bothered to get up in the morning and open my curtains. 

Any advice/experience/input on any of these issues will be gratefully received.

many thanks  confused  afro  up the asa

Scorp_Ed
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Surface Temp. Vs. Ambient Temp. Empty Re: Surface Temp. Vs. Ambient Temp.

Post by ShredderEmp Sat May 03, 2014 4:05 am

Usually people don't recommend using heat mats for burrowing scorpions because when they get hot, they dig down. This works in the wild, but with a heat mat they just get hotter. Try using a ceramic heat emitter or place the heat mat on the side. That creates a heat gradient that is most desirable.
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by Scorp_Ed Sat May 03, 2014 10:39 am

I have considered using an IR bulb or a ceramic bulb but I'm not sure how to implement it in my plastic RUB set-up? Any ideas?
Surface Temp. Vs. Ambient Temp. Scorp_12
(Probably using the bigger RUB with more floor space)
I was also under the impression that if the environment is not favourable the scorp won't go there? i.e. won't dig any deeper if it's too hot, or start another tunnel in a cooler area.

Scorp_Ed
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShredderEmp Sat May 03, 2014 11:47 pm

If you can get a hold of a bendable lamp or something like it, you could just bend it or place it over the top. I use this method.
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by Scorp_Ed Sun May 04, 2014 9:37 am

I wasn't sure if it would melt the plastic/ penetrate the plastic effectively but thanks, I shall try this.
Any advice for my other questions in OP?

Scorp_Ed
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by DolbyR Tue May 06, 2014 8:23 pm

There is nothing wrong is using a heatmat with scorpions, but you must place it vertically on one side, never under the enclosure. This way you get a temp gradient as well.
DolbyR
DolbyR
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/dolbyr82

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowfoot Tue May 06, 2014 10:52 pm

+1 to Dolby, place the heat mat on the side. Concerning the light cycle, no, the few extra hours of light or darkness will not affect the scorpion. Just try to avoid any bright lights shining on their enclosure, say from the sunlight through the windows or something like that, they do tend to like it a bit more dim/dark.
Shadowfoot
Shadowfoot
Scorpion breeder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum