All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp.

+12
ayami1983
JD
Mr.Invert
ShredderEmp
DolbyR
Tope
yames
Jackson_Oscillada
Shakudo
ahxean
Liocheles
GS
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 3 Empty Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.

Post by GS Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
GS
GS
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Post by ShredderEmp Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:57 pm

What is the highest instar a Parabuthus liosoma can reach?
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:14 am

In my exp, 8.
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShredderEmp Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:18 am

Ok, thank you. 

What instar do you think she is?

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 3 Photo_zpse38859c7
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:31 pm

No prob.

Hmnn... it depends. How big is that "big mac" which she's holding? Smile
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShredderEmp Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Well she is about 7 cm, but but I can't remember how big the roach was.
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by JD Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:40 pm

great pics, i have p. trans at home. well i wanna know the difference between a male and a female. its probably 3-4i right now .can you help me please Smile
JD
JD
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by ayami1983 Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:13 am

hi guys, good day..  I just bought a Parabuthus Villiosus |(orange molt) and of course since i love them much. i want them to grow as enormous as they can be.. I want to learn all the factors that affect scorpion growth.. Does powerfeeding them make them grow faster and larger compared to refular feeding ( once a week). 

Any advice how to make scorpion grow bigger .. Is power feeding advisable?

ayami1983
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShredderEmp Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:33 am

Power feeding makes them grow fast, but it shortens their lifespan. I don't know if it makes them larger, but I would not do it unless you need to. I would definitely not do it if you want your very expensive species to live a long time. Also, temperature and environment along with nutrition and space influence growth.
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowfoot Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:11 am

Scorpions in captivity are usually smaller compared to wild specimens. There are a lot of things that determines how big your scorpion will get, power feeding will lead to a smaller sized scorpion as well as giving no wintertime period of decreased temperatures. For example a Parabuthus usually takes about +-2years to reach adulthood in captivity but in the wild they can take much longer, up to 3-4 years, so a lot of time to grow compared to 2 years of growing as fast as possible.
Shadowfoot
Shadowfoot
Scorpion breeder

Back to top Go down

Post by ayami1983 Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:48 pm

ShredderEmp wrote:Power feeding makes them grow fast, but it shortens their lifespan. I don't know if it makes them larger, but I would not do it unless you need to. I would definitely not do it if you want your very expensive species to live a long time. Also, temperature and environment along with nutrition and space influence growth. 
can you give me a feeding table for my parabuthus villosus .. i got a pair.. the male is 3 instar and the female is 2nd instar. thanks... more power on you guys.. i really love the site. . .

ayami1983
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by ayami1983 Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Shadowfoot wrote:Scorpions in captivity are usually smaller compared to wild specimens. There are a lot of things that determines how big your scorpion will get, power feeding will lead to a smaller sized scorpion as well as giving no wintertime period of decreased temperatures. For example a Parabuthus usually takes about +-2years to reach adulthood in captivity but in the wild they can take much longer, up to 3-4 years, so a lot of time to grow compared to 2 years of growing as fast as possible.
i see.. ill stop the power feeding of my scorpion for now.. thanks a lot..

ayami1983
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShredderEmp Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:34 am

For scorplings 2nd-3rd instar, I would feed every 2-3 days. When they are 4th instar on, feed once a week.
ShredderEmp
ShredderEmp
3. Instar

Back to top Go down

Post by bubotmcawesome Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:54 pm

GS wrote:
Jackson_Oscillada wrote:
Hey guys, how long does it take for a P.Trans to harden its exoskeleton? I bought one today and according to the dealer,it molted last friday.

Assuming that the husbandry has been provided correctly for the scorpion, it usually takes between 4-10 days for a freshly molted specimen to have it's exo-skeleton fully hardened.

The range is huge as the number of days is dependent on which instar was the specimen at. Generally, the younger the instar, the faster it's exo-skeleton will harden.

e.g. a freshly molted 3.instar takes about 4-5 days and a freshly molted 8.instar may take up to 8-10 days.

Using black light, once you notice that the specimen is fully florescent under it, the specimen is not far from being ready to hunt.

Let us know if you have more queries.

so basically, if a scorpion does NOT glow blue under UV light then that means the post molt hardening process is yet to be finished? Very Happy This is a great new bit of information! I love observing scorpions under uv in their home made habitat Very Happy
bubotmcawesome
bubotmcawesome
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by lazydonut Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:54 pm

Hey guys. My 2nd instar P. transvaalicus is showing signs of the pre-molt phase, and i'm about to go back to campus. It ate a roach nymph yesterday. 

If it molts i know it wouldnt be good to have food near it until it finishes hardening up but what if it doesnt molt yet? I'll just be starving it if i do imo that's why i'm worried. I wont be gone longer than a week but still, the roach it had was really really small. like, the end of a pencil small.
lazydonut
lazydonut
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:26 am

bubotmcawesome wrote:
GS wrote:
Jackson_Oscillada wrote:
Hey guys, how long does it take for a P.Trans to harden its exoskeleton? I bought one today and according to the dealer,it molted last friday.

Assuming that the husbandry has been provided correctly for the scorpion, it usually takes between 4-10 days for a freshly molted specimen to have it's exo-skeleton fully hardened.

The range is huge as the number of days is dependent on which instar was the specimen at. Generally, the younger the instar, the faster it's exo-skeleton will harden.

e.g. a freshly molted 3.instar takes about 4-5 days and a freshly molted 8.instar may take up to 8-10 days.

Using black light, once you notice that the specimen is fully florescent under it, the specimen is not far from being ready to hunt.

Let us know if you have more queries.

so basically, if a scorpion does NOT glow blue under UV light then that means the post molt hardening process is yet to be finished? Very Happy This is a great new bit of information! I love observing scorpions under uv in their home made habitat Very Happy

Simply by observing that the specimen "Glow blue" or florescent under black light might not a accurate indicator as there are different stages of it from the begining till it becomes fully florescent. (That is why I mentioned, "its not far from being able to hunt")

If in doubt, it'll be good to offer that extra amount of time when food is being offered. If the scorpion does not take on its prey item immediately, remove that uneaten "food" from the scorpion.. as most likely, the scorpion will need a couple of days more.

lazydonut wrote:Hey guys. My 2nd instar P. transvaalicus is showing signs of the pre-molt phase, and i'm about to go back to campus. It ate a roach nymph yesterday. 

If it molts i know it wouldnt be good to have food near it until it finishes hardening up but what if it doesnt molt yet? I'll just be starving it if i do imo that's why i'm worried. I wont be gone longer than a week but still, the roach it had was really really small. like, the end of a pencil small.

Hi,
I assume when you said "it's showing signs of pre-molt" means that it's looking pretty "fat" now yeah?

A week without food is usually fine for a scorpion entering a pre-molt phase, a greater concern is the water provisioning. However, having a 2.instar small specimen would make it risky to use a water dish.. I would suggest using dry coco fibre as the bedding and simply make sure that a corner or 1/3 of the substrate is given an appropriate amount of mist before i head out for the week.

If you have time, you may share pics of its enclosure. Evaporation.. size of enclosure.. usage of substrate matters.
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by lazydonut Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:19 am

GS wrote:
lazydonut wrote:Hey guys. My 2nd instar P. transvaalicus is showing signs of the pre-molt phase, and i'm about to go back to campus. It ate a roach nymph yesterday. 

Hi,
I assume when you said "it's showing signs of pre-molt" means that it's looking pretty "fat" now yeah?

A week without food is usually fine for a scorpion entering a pre-molt phase, a greater concern is the water provisioning.  However, having a 2.instar small specimen would make it risky to use a water dish.. I would suggest using dry coco fibre as the bedding and simply make sure that a corner or 1/3 of the substrate is given an appropriate amount of mist before i head out for the week.

If you have time, you may share pics of its enclosure. Evaporation.. size of enclosure.. usage of substrate matters.

Hey. Well it's gotten a bit rounder and looks duller the more days pass, but it's still pretty active walking around the enclosure but doesnt take food.

It's in a deli container, with lid well holed. Right now i use sand for the substrate and mist it every while but it all dries up in one afternoon.
lazydonut
lazydonut
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:44 am

Seems good. It should molt for you soon Smile
GS
GS
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Leigh Sun May 08, 2016 9:16 am

I had my laptop stolen along with my breeding records for my P. Trans. a couple of questions if I may.

1. When does the bulbous chelae first appear on the male. My memory would tell me that my two males are 6i and one has just moulted to 7i and the bulbous chelae are now apparent post moult.

2. I have two 7i females that I have kept away from males as I would desperately love to nurture through to 8i. Again if my memory serves me correctly the one has been 7i for about 18 months. I would think that she now will probably never get to 8i so should I give up the dream and mate her?

Cheers

Andrew Leigh
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3