All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

All Scorpion Archives
Dear Guest,
please log in to your account.

If you are not a member of All-Scorpion-Archives yet, please take a few minutes to register.

Regards,
-Team ASA-
All Scorpion Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desert Scorpion help

+2
yames
stayfrosty04
6 posters

Go down

Desert Scorpion help Empty Desert Scorpion help

Post by stayfrosty04 Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 am

Hey guys, newbie here....I viewed alot of videos in youtube about desert scorpions.
I want to have one but the least venom level...is there one? like lvl 3?

by the way I already have H. Hottentotta....Im afraid of lvl 4 and lvl 5 scorps

thanks Very Happy
stayfrosty04
stayfrosty04
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Desert Scorpion help Empty Re: Desert Scorpion help

Post by yames Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:18 am

I don't think many people around the hobby use that number system. It's fairly subjective and misleading. What you should do is avoid scorpions that are deemed medically significant. But you already have one of those in your HH so I guess my advice to you is don't get a Leiurus quinquestriatus, Androctonus bicolor, Androctonus australis, Androctonus crassicauda, Androctonus amoreuxi or Parabuthus transvaalicus to name a few. Maybe ignore all Buthidae as choices.

But to answer your question get a Hadrurus they are awesome and their venom is medically insignificant.
yames
yames

Back to top Go down

Post by stayfrosty04 Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:54 pm

hmmmm I see...okay2 thanks Smile
stayfrosty04
stayfrosty04
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by Liocheles Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:58 pm

well, get Hadrurus arizonensis., they are bigger and gorgeous.,
another desert recommended is dune scorpion,, Smeringus maesensis, Smile
Liocheles
Liocheles
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by exMachina Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:52 am

If you want to keep Hottentotta species, just beware of Hottentotta Tamulus and Hottentotta Jayakari. They are very beautiful but their venom is potentially dangerous to humans.

I believe that Hottentotta Judaicus and Hottentotta Trilineatus are level 3 of 5 venom scale. These are good scorpions but if it's possible, get a Hadrurus first. Smile
exMachina
exMachina
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by DolbyR Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 am

Any classifications like "venom level" 1 to 5 can be dangerously misleading.
Each keeper may have different view on the classification, while it is clear and Pandinus would be level one and A. australis and L. quinquestriatus would be level 5, it is very controversial to classify some species of Parabuthus or Centruroides.

Same is with LD50 classifications, while it is a scientific scale, it should not be used to determine the "dangerousness" of a species. LD50 is based on rodent tests, and their reactions to different toxines and proteins in scorpion venom may not correspond to the way that the human body will react to the same components. Also, we must not neglect the fact that each individuals body has a different way to "accept" venom in the body. While one healthy individual may survive an Androctonus sting without major effects, another person may receive much more serious effects from a less venomous scorpion (allergic reactions, anaphylactic shock, etc.)
Another factor that makes LD50 inaccurate is that it measures the lethal dose of venom in mg, but all scorpions do not inject the same amount of venom, due to this difference, a scorpion with the lowest LD50 value is not always the "deadliest" one.

PERSONALLY, i go by the following classification: "not medically significant", "medically significant" and "potentially lethal". As this is my personal view on "dangerousness" of different scorpions.

Regarding your query, "which scorpion to buy", always use common sense and take the scorpion you feel comfortable with and of scourse, if you are not sure of a certain scorpion, do come and ask, we will gladly help Smile
For your next addition, I agree with the rest of the guys, get a Hadrurus arizonensis. These are awesome scorpions - Desert sp. , big, etc..
DolbyR
DolbyR
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/dolbyr82

Back to top Go down

Post by exMachina Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:55 am

By the way frosty, where are you in the PH? If you're near the Rizal province, I can help you. Smile
exMachina
exMachina
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by stayfrosty04 Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:22 am

exMachina wrote:By the way frosty, where are you in the PH? If you're near the Rizal province, I can help you. Smile
Im from Cebu City, way too far from Rizal Crying or Very sad
stayfrosty04
stayfrosty04
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by stayfrosty04 Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:26 am

DolbyR wrote:Any classifications like "venom level" 1 to 5 can be dangerously misleading.
Each keeper may have different view on the classification, while it is clear and Pandinus would be level one and A. australis and L. quinquestriatus would be level 5, it is very controversial to classify some species of Parabuthus or Centruroides.

Same is with LD50 classifications, while it is a scientific scale, it should not be used to determine the "dangerousness" of a species. LD50 is based on rodent tests, and their reactions to different toxines and proteins in scorpion venom may not correspond to the way that the human body will react to the same components. Also, we must not neglect the fact that each individuals body has a different way to "accept" venom in the body. While one healthy individual may survive an Androctonus sting without major effects, another person may receive much more serious effects from a less venomous scorpion (allergic reactions, anaphylactic shock, etc.)
Another factor that makes LD50 inaccurate is that it measures the lethal dose of venom in mg, but all scorpions do not inject the same amount of venom, due to this difference, a scorpion with the lowest LD50 value is not always the "deadliest" one.

PERSONALLY, i go by the following classification: "not medically significant", "medically significant" and "potentially lethal". As this is my personal view on "dangerousness" of different scorpions.

Regarding your query, "which scorpion to buy", always use common sense and take the scorpion you feel comfortable with and of scourse, if you are not sure of a certain scorpion, do come and ask, we will gladly help Smile
For your next addition, I agree with the rest of the guys, get a Hadrurus arizonensis. These are awesome scorpions - Desert sp. , big, etc..

Hmmm I see, very reasonable, thanks for the heads up.... I already have scorps that I'm comfortable with and can be handled(emps, forest scorps) but I'm looking forward to buy my next scorp, it would be for display purposes only Very Happy
stayfrosty04
stayfrosty04
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 am

stayfrosty04 wrote:
DolbyR wrote:Any classifications like "venom level" 1 to 5 can be dangerously misleading.

Hmmm I see, very reasonable, thanks for the heads up.... I already have scorps that I'm comfortable with and can be handled(emps, forest scorps) but I'm looking forward to buy my next scorp, it would be for display purposes only Very Happy

I share the exact same view as DolbyR.

Stayfrosty, that's a very good mindset in keeping captivity scorpions as display pet. Respect all species regardless of venom strength and their size, that is the way forward.

Feel free to post your queries Smile
GS
GS
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Post by stayfrosty04 Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:14 pm

GS wrote:

I share the exact same view as DolbyR.

Stayfrosty, that's a very good mindset in keeping captivity scorpions as display pet. Respect all species regardless of venom strength and their size, that is the way forward.

Feel free to post your queries Smile

I see, is there any beautiful desert scorpion like A. Australis with a "medically significant" and "not lethal"?
stayfrosty04
stayfrosty04
Spermatophore

Back to top Go down

Post by GS Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:47 pm

I guess you meant "NOT medically significant"?

To be honest, as you grow in the hobby, you will realise the fact that ALL scorpions are beautiful and that they are gorgeous, in their different ways.

And "to each his own", every keepers would have his favorite desert scorpion.

As for my recommendation, you may consider Orthochirus innesi Smile

Desert Scorpion help Orthochirus_innesi_by_GSscorpions82_pic1
GS
GS
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/gsscorpions82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down